Transition and Young People

Transition is the process of preparing, planning and moving from children’s to adult services. Transition is a gradual process of change which gives everyone time to ensure that you and your family are prepared and feel ready to make the move to adult health care.

Some young people may be discharged to their GP rather than transfer to adult services. We may still complete transition documentation with you, to build your skills and knowledge to confidently manage your own healthcare and ensure you have the information you need before you are discharged to the care of your GP.

Young people with complex needs are likely to experience various transitions including education, therapies, community nursing and social care, as well as medical care.

You might hear your Healthcare professional refer to the term ‘transfer’ as well as transition. We use the word ‘transition’ to describe the process of planning and moving on from a children’s service to an adult service. Transition is a gradual process.

Transfer refers to the point your care is transferred to adult services or your GP.

The preparation process will start between the ages of 12-14 years old according to which service you are under and individual needs.

Discussions about the age you will transfer should start in your outpatient clinic appointments when you are around 14-years-old, so that you know what the future plan will be. You do not need to wait for those administering your healthcare to bring it up – we encourage you to ask the question too!

Preparing for transition

You will receive help whilst you are preparing for the transfer to adult services. Here’s some information about how your current service and healthcare professionals will do this.

If you are under a children’s team in our hospital or community service

  • Every young person will have a named person to help coordinate the transition process.
  • We use a transition programme called Ready, Steady, Go which will help you gain the knowledge and skills you need to manage your condition. You may also complete a condition specific checklist with a member of your healthcare team to ensure you understand the specific skills needed for your condition and medication.
    For some conditions, you will have the opportunity to meet the adult healthcare professional before your care is transferred.
  • For some conditions, you will have the opportunity to meet the adult services doctor and/or nurse before you transfer.
  • You will also be given a written transition plan detailing the age that you will transfer to adult services, a summary of any goals identified for you to work towards and areas where further information or advice is needed.

If you moving into our adult services from a children’s service from another healthcare provider

  • Your current healthcare professional should be helping to coordinate your transition to our adult services
  • Your service may use a transition programme such as Ready, Steady, Go help you gain the knowledge and skills you need to manage your condition before you transfer to adult services.
  • For some conditions, you will have the opportunity to meet the healthcare professional from the adult services before you transfer to it.
  • The children’s service should ensure we have received the appropriate information about you and your needs. You should be provided with the contact details for the adult healthcare professionals.
  • The children’s service should ensure we have received the appropriate information about you and your needs. You should be provided with the contact details for the adult healthcare professionals.

Will I be able to see the doctor on my own if I want to?


If you are aged 16 or older, you have the right to see a healthcare professional alone. Until you are aged 16, your parents have a right to come to clinic with you. However, that does not mean that they have to spend the whole of the consultation in the room with you. In fact, we encourage that before you move to adult services, you enter the initial part of your clinic appointment on your own and we then invite your parent/carer in to recap afterwards.  It is important that we prepare you and your family for your move from being a child patient to being an adult patient.

At any appointment, you can have time on your own with the healthcare professional if you wanted to speak to them confidentially. See the helpful poster below for an explanation about what confidentiality and consent means.

Young rights in health care poster
Ask 3 Questions Poster

Practice doing the following things to help prepare you for adult care

  • Learn about your condition/s and treatments
  • Practice asking and answering questions during clinic appointments
  • Try to take some responsibility for remembering what your medicines are called, what they are for, how much to take and when to take them
  • Learn how to get more supplies of your medicines or dressings
  • Practice arranging appointments with your consultant, GP, physiotherapist, dietitian etc.
  • Keep important phone numbers and appointment dates on your mobile phone calendar
  • When you agree to treatment plans, make sure that you follow them properly
  • Try spending time without your parents for part of clinic appointments, then when you feel ready try spending the whole appointment on your own.
  • Find out any changes in your condition that mean you should get urgent help
  • Find out who to contact in an emergency

Where will I stay if I have to be admitted to hospital?

  • If you are under the age of 16, you will be admitted to a children’s ward and looked after by a children’s doctor.
  • If you are aged 16 or 17 you have the choice of whether you want to be admitted on to the adolescent unit on the children’s ward (as long as there is a bed available) or admitted to an adult ward.

Questions about your care

There are a number of things you can ask your healthcare team about your transition.

  • What is the plan for my transition?
  • Will I be discharged to my GP or transferred to adult services?
  • When am I moving to adult services?
  • Can I choose which adult service I move to?
  • What is different about the adult service?
  • Can I meet the adult staff before I leave children’s services?
  • Are there any young people I can talk to about moving to adult services?
  • What do I need to know before I move to the adult service?
  • When can I start getting more involved in my health care?
  • How will my condition affect my future, such as my education and employment prospects?

Useful websites and info

This section provides useful links to information, support and services for young people. All organisations below have websites that provide more detailed information and contact details.

Healthcare Conditions

Young Epilepsy
Website and helpline for young people and Parent Carers including diaries, magazines and e-learning.

Epilepsy Action
Epilepsy Helpline and Website information including information on puberty, periods, sex, contraception driving, having a baby, driving, work and Epilepsy, having a social life. There is also the “Tea Rooms” for 13-19 year olds to talk to other teenagers with Epilepsy.

Epilepsy Space
The Epilepsy Space is for 16-25 year olds to help you manage your epilepsy.

Pituitary Foundation
Website information and Endocrine Nurse Helpline including information on school, College, work, travelling, relationships, sex, fertility and living life.

The Buzz
It’s the only website for deaf young people aged 8 to 18 in the UK. This safe, online space, created by deaf young people, is entirely yours. You can read inspiring stories, connect with other deaf young people, find the latest information and support, sign up to events, ask questions and get involved.

Palliative Care

Together for short lives

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

Support families with guidance and information, bring families together to support each other. Online, printed and helpline advice on Education, Finance, Benefits, Childcare, Social Care and Medical information.

Sandwell Advocacy
Sandwell Advocacy provides independent advocacy throughout Sandwell, promoting rights, voice and empowerment.

Advocacy Matters (Birmingham and Walsall)
Provide free and confidential Independent Advocacy to vulnerable adults aged 18 years and over who live in Birmingham and have an issue in their life for which they require independent support.

Website information and helpline. Advice and support with Employment, Social Care, Benefits, health, Sexuality and Relationships, Wills & Trusts and Mental Capacity Act.

Sandwell Local Offer and Preparing for Adulthood

Birmingham Local Offer and Preparing for Adulthood

Health and Lifestyle

Health For Teens
This website features content and quizzes and covers all areas of your health: including feelings, growing up, sexual health, your lifestyle, alcohol, and much more.

Physical Health

Better Health Healthier Families
Website with information on how to eat well and move more

Sandwell Leisure Trust
Maintains nine affordable leisure centers in Rowley Regis, Cradley Heath, Smethwick, Tipton, Oldbury and Wednesbury. Classes are open to customers aged 14 and over.
Birmingham Community Leisure Trust- check out the website for your local leisure Centre and facilities available.

Drugs and Alcohol

The Drug Education, Counselling and Confidential Advice Team are Sandwell young people’s alcohol and drugs service. The team work with any young person that lives in the Sandwell area aged 18 or under and also works any agency that work with them.

For young people in Birmingham who are affected by substance misuse, working with young people who are drinking or using drugs themselves OR who have a family member who drinks or uses drugs.

Talk to Frank for facts, support and advice on drugs and alcohol

Sex and Sexuality

Sandwell Sexual Health Services
Sexual health and contraception service that offers free and confidential emergency contraception, testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections and information about sexual health

Online information and confidential clinics for sexual health including contraception, STI testing and treatment. Some Birmingham Youth Services have Umbrella clinics at their youth Centres. There is a section on the website dedicated to Under 25’s.

Advice and support on relationships and sexuality for people with learning disabilities

Stonewall Young Futures
Aim to support and empower young lesbian, gay, bi and trans people to live their lives free from discrimination and fulfill their potential.


Sandwell Youth Service
General youth services available including outdoor activities, media bus, street side, youth clubs, youth bus. Sessions include music, dance, drama and media. See Just Youth website for locations/times.

Birmingham Youth Service
There are numerous Youth Services in Birmingham according to the area that you live. Check the Birmingham City Council website for information.

Over the Wall
Over The Wall is a charity that helps children, young people and their families reach beyond the boundaries of serious illness to discover a world of mischief, magic and new possibilities.
They do this by providing free of charge, transformative activity camps throughout the UK. More information on the criteria of the Health Challenges that can support is found at:


National Careers Service
Website, telephone and web chat service providing information, advice and guidance to help you make decisions on learning, training and work.

Birmingham Careers Service
Is a free and friendly support service providing careers information, advice and guidance to young people aged 16 to 19 who are not in education, employment or training (NEET).

Employment advice
If you have special educational needs or a disability and are looking for work, there are lots of places you can find help.

Emotional Wellbeing

A confidential advice and support service covering a wide range of issues by telephone or online. 0800 1111

Black Country CAMHS
Information on CAMHS. Online help and advice for teenagers on wide range of topics including Anger, Abuse, Anxiety, Body Image, Low mood, Eating Disorders, Panic, Self-harm, stress and more.

Forward Thinking Birmingham
A mental health service offering support, care and treatment for all 0-25s through one organisation, making it easier for you to access the right support at the right time.

Free online counselling and emotional well-being platform for children and young people.

Advice and information on young people’s mental health as well as a Crisis Messenger Services that provides free, 24/7 crisis support across the UK if you are experiencing a mental health crisis If you need urgent help text YM to 85258

The Mix
Offer support if you’re worried about your mental health, or someone else’s, from anxiety and depression to self-care and counselling. Phone, text, crisis messenger service and online resources for under 25’s.

BBC “Own it”
Online advice centre for children and young people. Bullying and Trolling, Body image, online identity image, gaming advice.

Ditch the Label
Anti-bullying charity. Talk to them online about bullying & anything else that you have on your mind for advice & support. They don’t’ just talk about bullying, they also talk about things that are connected such as body image, mental health & sexuality.


If you have any questions about your transition from children’s to adult services, please contact:

Kelly Edie-Fisher
Transition Key Worker

Telephone: 07773053702


For more information about disabled access for this service

Click here