Making a complaint

If we haven’t been able to resolve your concerns, you can make a complaint. We will investigate and respond as soon as we can.  We might ask you to meet with us to talk through your concerns. Where we need to put things right, we will.

Who can complain?

Anyone who is receiving, or has received, NHS treatment or services can complain. You can complain for yourself, a friend or a relative, but you must have their permission. If the patient is deceased, young or very ill then you need consent from the next of kin.

How can I complain?

To make a complaint, you can:

  • Send it in writing to:

Complaints Department
Sandwell & West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust
City Hospital
Dudley Road
B18 7QH

  • Fill in the complaints form here and send it to the above address.
  • Phone: 0121 507 4346, 10am – 4pm, Monday – Friday. (Please leave a message if the line is engaged or if you are calling outside these times)
  • Email:
  • Purple Points can be used by our inpatients or their loved ones to raise concerns or compliment staff  whilst they are still in hospital. To find out more click here.

What information should I include?

You should be as specific about your complaint and what you would like us to do to resolve them. Please include the following:

  • the patient’s full name, date of birth and if possible, their hospital number;
  • your contact telephone number and an email address if you have one;
  • what happened and why you are unhappy;
  • the name of the staff involved, if known;
  • the ward or department concerned; and
  • the date and time that the event occurred.

When can I complain?

You should make your complaint as soon as possible and not more than twelve months after the events. This is because it is easier for us investigate while events are fresh in people’s memories. We may be able to look into things which happened more than twelve months ago if there is a genuine reason why you could not make a complaint sooner.

I am worried that making a complaint will affect my care. Will the staff treat me differently?

No. All of our staff are encouraged to be open and respond positively to complaints. Making a complaint will not have a negative effect on your care. If you have any concerns about this, please talk to our PALS team.

Where can I get help in making my complaint?

The Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS) provide free and independent advice about the NHS complaints process. You can contact them on:

Tel: 0300 456 2370

Minicom: 0300 456 2364

Fax: 0300 456 2365

Address: POhWER, iBIC Holt Court South, Jennens Road, Aston Science Park, Birmingham B74EJ







The Patient Association is the national non-disease specific helpline for anyone trying to navigate the health and social care systems in the UK. The helpline is free and a call back service is provided for those who call out of hours. They can be contacted on:

Telephone: 020 8423 8999 (Monday to Friday 9.30am-5pm)




What can I do if I am not happy with the response?

If you are not happy with the response we give you, you can tell us why and explain what else you want us to do. If, once we have done all we can, you are still unhappy, you can complain to the Health Service Ombudsman at:

Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, London SW1P 4QP

Tel. 0345 015 4033

8.30am – 5.30pm, Monday – Friday



Further Information

Care Quality Commission

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) is the independent regulator for all health and social care services in England. They can be contacted for information and advice. You can also give them feedback about your experiences of health and social care services, although CQC cannot investigate individual complaints.

Tel: 0300 616161 Monday to Friday 8.30am – 5.30pm

Fax: 0300 616 171

Address: CQC National Correspondence, Cityscape, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 4PA