David Michael Luesley
David Michael Luesley MA (Cantab) MD FRCOG
Having graduated from Downing College Cambridge, Professor Luesley’s undergraduate training in medicine was completed at Birmingham University in 1975. His postgraduate training was initially in general obstetrics and gynaecology, but in 1981 he was awarded a CRC Training fellowship in gynaecological cancer. This led to him being awarded an MD in 1985.
After returning to general obstetrics and gynaecology for a short period as a senior registrar, Dr Luesley took up the appointment of Senior Lecturer in the University Department in 1986. He became a reader in 1992, then a Personal Chair of Gynaecological Oncology in 1996 and took up the Lawson-Tait Chair in Gynaecological Oncology in 2002.
Professor Luesley is divisional director for Women’s and Children’s Health at Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust and lead clinician for the Pan-Birmingham Gynaecological Cancer Centre. This is a large and busy department undertaking approximately 600 radical surgical procedures annually. The department has special expertise in the management of vulvar cancers; laparoscopic oncology, fertility sparing surgery and exenterative and salvage surgery. It receives many tertiary referrals for the management of all gynaecological cancers and increasingly those requiring advanced surgical intervention.
Since establishing the new centre in 2005, Professor Luesley has re-developed the vulval disorders service, which offers a broad range of diagnostic and therapeutic interventions for women with a full range of vulval disorders.
- MacMillan Medical Advisory Board
- Senior European Editor for the International Journal of Cancer
- Pan-Birmingham Cancer Network Board
- Editor, National Guidelines on Quality Assurance in Colposcopy 1996, 2004
- Editor RCOG Vulval Cancer Guidelines group
- RCOG Subspecialty Training Board
- Associate Non-executive Director, The Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust
- President of the British Gynaecological Cancer Society
- President British Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology
- Royal College Examiner for the Membership Examination
- Editorial Board of the Brit.J.Obstet.Gyncol.
- Chair NCRI Gynaecological Cancer group
- RCOG/BGCS Calman Implementation Advisory Group
- DHSS National Co-ordinating Network for Cervical Cytology
- Chairman, BSCCP implementation of structured training in Colposcopy.
- International Federation of Cervical Pathology and Colposcopy, Education subcommittee chairman
- FIGO Expert Advisory Committee on Oncology
- Council member of the International Gynaecological Cancer Society
- Council member of the European Society for Gynaecological Oncology
Telephone: 0121 507 5337