Sandwell General Hospital
Sandwell General Hospital is an acute teaching hospital, providing a wide range of general and specialist hospital services. These include medical and nursing services such as general medicine, surgery, urology, plastic surgery, orthopaedics, gastroenterology, rheumatology, cardiology and paediatrics.
The hospital was originally an infirmary added to the West Bromwich union workhouse in 1884. After improvements during the 1920s and 40s the infirmary then became a separate institution named Hallam Hospital. After rebuilding in the 1970s, the Hospital was renamed Sandwell District General Hospital. An £18m Emergency Services Centre opened in April 2005, replacing the former facility which was destroyed by fire.
Facilities which will remain at Sandwell are likely to include:
Day case unit (three operating theatres)
Imaging (including MRI & CT)
Outpatients (including paediatrics, ENT and colposcopy)
GP and Walk-In centre
Mortuary/post mortem facilities
Admin & education