City hospital has provided care for patients since it opened in 1889 as the Birmingham Union Infirmary, an extension to the workhouse based on the site. It originally comprised of a single corridor stretching for a quarter of a mile with nine ward blocks on either side along its length, a configuration recommended by Florence Nightingale.
City Hospital is also home to the Birmingham Treatment Centre, Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre which will retain those functions. In addition, facilities which are likely to remain include:
Enhanced Procedures Suite – oral surgery and dermatology day case
Outpatients – dermatology, oral surgery and others
Hearing Services Centre
Shared Rehabilitation – Cardiac Rehabilitation and Musculo-Skeletal
Admin & Education