Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Here you can find both our regular FAQ and those relating to changes under the COVID-19 pandemic.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a specific enquiry, please check the questions below. If your question is not featured below, please submit your query using the contact form at the bottom of the page. We aim to respond within five working days.
Please note: The Communications Team is non-clinical and has no direct access to patient records. For appointment cancellations and rearrangements or enquiries of that nature please see the sections above and below for more information.


I wish to cancel or change my appointment. How do I do this?
I have mislaid details of my appointment, can you tell me when it is?
For appointment queries in the first instance please call the relevant telephone number on your letter or (for outpatient appointments only) call our contact centre on 0121 507 4151. Alternatively you can complete the form at
How do I access my medical records?
Gaining access to your medical records (such as, x-rays, time of birth, details on past treatments) is a legal procedure. To start the legal process, please contact our Governance Support Unit via the following email address: or write to the following department: Governance Support Unit, Trinity House, Sandwell General Hospital, Lyndon, West Bromwich, West Midlands, B71 4HJ

If you are after access to your GP notes, an additional way to see these is via the NHS app. Find out more about this here.

(Phlebotomy) What are the blood test opening times? Can I walk-in?
For more information about our blood tests and how to book an appointment by phone, email or the Airmid app please, go to

(Maternity) I am expecting a baby, what should I do?

If you discover you are expecting a child, you can refer yourself online to the maternity department, a midwife can then be arranged for you and additional help can begin. To self-refer and for additional information please see the Maternity service page.

Does the Trust refund travel costs?
Anyone on a low income who is entitled to benefits or receives income support can claim for reimbursement of bus fare or receive a token to allow free exit from hospital car parks. Please bring proof of your benefits to one of the following places:
• Birmingham Treatment Centre reception
• Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre general office
• City Hospital Cash Office (ground floor, main corridor, near the Medical Assessment Unit)
• Sandwell General Hospital main reception
• Rowley Regis Hospital main reception
I would like to carry out a condition check on a patient being treated at one of your hospitals
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide information about the admittance or condition of any patients in our hospitals due to the Data Protection Act.
I would like to arrange work experience at your hospitals, how do I go about this?
We receive a high volume of requests for work experience. To submit your request, please email and someone from the Learning and Development team will contact you
I would like to work at your Trust, how do I find out what jobs you have available?
Please visit to search the current vacancies list.
I used to work at the Trust and would like to access information on the training I received?
Please contact Learning and Development on 0121 507 4794. Please note this information is only kept for seven years
(Your Trust Charity) I would like to donate to help support the hospital at this time. How do I do that?
Thank you for your interest, you can find out how you can donate here.

Ask a question

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


What are the current visiting restrictions?

For the latest visiting arrangements, including details on wards that are closed to all visitors please go to

Please note that should COVID-19 cases in the community rise, visiting guidance may change, or may revert to that employed previously. If you plan to visit in the future, please make sure you check on our website nearer the time to find the most up to date guidance.

Where can I find more information about the Coronavirus / COVID-19?
For the latest updates and advice regarding the Coronavirus pandemic please click here.

Be sure to follow the Trust’s social media accounts for additional information and updates. You can do so on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. The Trust also operates accounts on YouTube and LinkedIn

Where can I get my COVID-19 vaccination?

If you live in the Black Country clinical area – Sandwell, West Birmingham, Walsall, Dudley or Wolverhampton there are a number of other locations where those aged 18 years or more are able to have their vaccinations.

For full details on where you can get vaccinated in each area click here to visit the Black Country & West Birmingham ICB website.

To book a slot at a location near you, go to

I am now in recovery - what should I do?

Recovery from COVID-19 will take time. The length of time needed will vary from person to person and it is important not to compare yourself to others. Ongoing symptoms could last for several months after you contract COVID-19 and this can be perfectly normal.

An information pack is also given to patients who leave our care after being tested positive for COVID-19, or with COVID-19 symptoms who are awaiting a test result. This pack describes how to manage symptoms such as breathlessness, guidance on isolation, managing stress and anxiety and who to contact for help. Click here to read.

Our NHS colleagues at Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust have produced a patient support website offering advice and guidance on your recovery journey. Here you can find information about what you can do to make recovery easier for yourself, both physically and mentally.

There is also a centralised NHS website Supporting your recovery after COVID-19.

My child appears ill, what should I do?

Whilst Coronavirus is infectious to children it is rarely serious. If your child is unwell it is likely to be a non-Coronavirus illness, rather than Coronavirus itself. If they require urgent or emergency treatment do not let this be a barrier to bringing them to hospital, we continue to take care of patients young and old outside of the pandemic. As do GPs and NHS 111.

Click here for some additional guidance on steps to take if your child needs medical care.


Please note: The Communications Team has no direct access to patient records. For appointment cancellations and rearrangements or enquiries of that nature please see the sections above for more information.